Saturday, June 17, 2006

I just can't stop...

It all began again with The Bold and the Beautiful. I reaaaally didn't want to get sucked into that one but everyone else was doing it so I tried it and then I started watching every day in the breakroom at lunch. And it's stupid! It's not even good! Creepy Ridge and Dopey Brooke and Poor Bridget. Then Days had it's 40th anniversary. I had to watch the Bo and Hope marathon on Soapnet. I just had to. And I had to read a couple of Days message boards just to join in the reminiscing. That seemed harmless enough. But I read that Matt Ashford was back as Jack. And I loved Matt Ashford as Jack. So I had to tune in just to see him again and I saw Shawn and Mimi. They were hot together. I wanted to see if they were even hotter the next day. So I set it to record on the DVR. I was getting hooked again. After about a week I realized that I had been down this soapy road before and nothing good could come of it. So I stopped recording Days and I stopped watching B&B. But everybody at work watches B&B. They all talk and laugh and I was missing out on all the fun. I decided that it would be ok just to watch that one. It's thirty minutes a day. And I make fun of it. If I'm not taking it seriously then it isn't a problem, right?

Then NBC announced that Steve and Kayla were coming back to Days. Patch! But I wasn't going to watch. I wasn't going to get hooked again. I hadn't counted on the internet though. First I just figured I'd watch an old clip or two on youtube. Just to see if they were as good as I remembered, you know? But they were! They were sooo good. I had to see another and another. And then someone showed me how to score some Jack & Jennifer. And the next thing I know I'm staying up until two in the morning watching twenty year old Days of Our Lives clips. Within hours I've got a couple of gigabites of vintage soap on my computer and I just want more! I've got a lead on some good Justin & Adrienne but I'm dying to get my hands on some primo Eden & Cruz or Simon & Jessie or Johnny & Roxie. Plus, I've signed up for this site so I'm watching soaps from fifty years ago. And Days is back on the DVR to be recorded list because I have to see the big Steve and Kayla reunion. I'm sliding down that slippery slope of addiction. It's like the summer after 8th grade all over again.

1 comment:

Marti said...

LOL! I've been hooked on All My Children for more than 30 years, so don't feel bad - you could have much worse addictions!